www.gibbousgame.com

The Official Gibbous - A Cthulhu Adventure Forums
It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:06 pm

• All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 Next
     Post subject: Re: Introduction Thread
    PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:11 pm 

I'm Frank, 36 years old, and I'm from Dordrecht, The Netherlands. I'm a great fan of Monkey Island, DoTT and Sam&Max and other adventure games so Gibbous is definately a game I can't wait to play.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:20 pm 

Hey everyone!

I'm Alex, 29 years old and I'm from Gladstone, Australia. I'm a fan of Monkey Island and point and click adventures. I know a little about Lovecraft and Cthulhu, or at least as much I can gleam from the tales friends have gifted me and the bits I've researched via Wikipedia. Honestly the most I've ever learnt about the universe is via Old Man Henderson, I've always been fascinated by Cosmic Horror with a humourous bent. That and having an argument with someone about whether or not a D&D Paladin would have any fear when facing Cthulhu himself ... I felt he wouldn't .... he'd die pretty quick ... but he'd feel no fear ... anyways ... I have unfortunately not read any Lovecraft but deeply looking forward to this game. Take as long as you need!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:29 pm 

Hello!

My name is Rina, I'm 29 years old and I live in Germany. My favourite adventure games would be Monkey Island and Indiana Jones although I enjoyed Edna & Harvey: The breakout and The Whispered World very much as well.
    I learned about the lovecraftian Cthulhu mythos because of roleplaying games.
    After many years of quitting playing any kind of games I finally got back to it and the Gibbous Kickerstarter was just the right thing at the right moment! ;)
    But just as alex_ricks said in his post: Take as long as you need!

And if you're looking for test player in the future, I'd be happy to help.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:27 pm 

I don't normally do an introduction but, what the hell!

I'm Jabod - not my real name but that's my common on-line moniker.
    I appear to be the oldest so far at just approaching 65 and I'm based around Saddleworth in the NW of England. Now a semi-retired IT trouble-shooter.
    I read a lot of Lovecraft when I was around 8 or 9 years of age and thought it a load of pretentious hokum. I probably still would if I re-read them today. However the concept is fine, particularly for adventure games, which is why I cheerfully backed the Kickstarter, helped considerably by "Mr Underhill's" updates on the Adventure Gamers website. First Kickstarter for me in around 2 or 3 years. Tesla was, I think, the last or possibly Nelly Cootalot. (both great games so go out and purchase if you haven't done so already.)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:40 pm 

Hi everyone!

Finally made it here! :-)

My name is Wim, I'm 35, living in Belgium and working as a store manager (looking to change that soon though and get back into writing/reviewing/anything more creative soon :) ).

I'll be in the minority here, but I never was a big fan of the LucasArts adventures. Now don't get me wrong, I liked them, but my heart was always more into the Sierra adventure games (King's Quest, Gabriel Knight, Larry series, Space Quest, the whole lot, even their criticised FMV games like Phantasmagoria). I literally played the crap out of them growing up and picked up a lot of English from those, especially the older ones that used a text parser interface. Still enjoy playing adventure games to this very day, so that alone would have brought my attention to Gibbous. I also have a very strong interest in Gothic fiction (even wrote my uni dissertation on Dracula 8-) ), so yeah, an adventure game based on the work of Lovecraft, that was a second box ticked as to why I'd enjoy this game. Then there was the excellent demo, loved the art work, the writing, the humour and the atmosphere in it, and so I was sold and backed my very first Kickstarter with Gibbous! 8-) And then I met the Stuck in Attic crew during the live streams and was immediately convinced these guys were going to do one awesome job, so upped my pledge to include the physical release of the game (big, big collector of physical big box pc game releases from the 90s, one of my hobbies, so looking forward to adding Gibbous to the collection 8-) ). And here we are on the forum now, I'm really looking forward to the coming year to see the game evolve from concept to finished release version together, and in the mean time of course hang out with you all in this place here! :D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:57 pm 

Custom title: GOGetter and SIA Fan
    Hi Wim (now that I know what "wim" stands for I was wondering what the "cor" could mean) glad you also made it here. To tell the truth I also started my PC adventures with the sierra adventures (I guess my first one was the Space Quest franchise, of course the Larry franchise and then the Police Quest franchise) and I liked them very much. "Phantasmagoria" for me as German was a must have because it was not easy to get here because of its violence. Even though it was revolutionary at its time today imo it's a bit laughable but still has the charm of a decent b-movie. I also played the second one. I am one of the few people who loved FMV games. Maybe because I also love movies. The Gabriel Knight series until today still is one of my favorite. The second for me was special because of the game taking place in Germany (well, technically in Bavaria which is quite different from the rest of Germany) and the "German" is so funny. It's also funny playing GK2 with the German dub because part of the fun in this game is that Gabriel as American in Germany does not understand any German but since he is dubbed in the German version it's totally ridiculous when he acts like he did not understand what a German just said although he also speaks German in this version :) So in short: I also have a sweet spot for Sierra (although I did not like the King's Quest series that much) and you are not alone here :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:17 pm 

The "Cor" part comes from the name of the main character in the Amber series of books, one of my favourite fantasy series. his name is Corwin, only one letter removed from including my own name in there. :D

Hehe, I think it's the cheesy so-bad-it's-actually-good-again quality of the Phantasmagoria games that makes me love them so much! :lol: Sure they're technically dated now, and the acting was pretty bad (especially in the first one), but I did greatly enjoy their stories. Especially the second one was pretty original story-wise and loved that it went into X-Files-like territory there near the end. :) And well, I do love movies too, and my FMV in gaming, so there's that. :) And knowing that the first one came out waaaaay back in 1994, it's impressive what they were able to do with the format at the time, though yes, they haven't aged well.

Lolz, I can imagine that situation of Gabriel Knight not being able to understand German, while expressing that in German dubbing must have been quite hilarious!

Good to know there are are others hear who have a soft spot for the Sierra games!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:10 am 

Wow! It's so nice to see who our backers are, where you're from and what you're passionate about. I'm really excited to meet so many interesting people from all over the world! :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:23 pm 

Well here goes

I am known among many as Wighar, I am a 32 year old guy whom live just north of Stockholm in Sweden and I have been a gamer for longer then I can remember, Since the year I turned 18 I have been suffering from panic anxiety attacks which in turn made me develop agoraphobia and *stage 2 hypertension and as of recently type 2 diabetes, but I am taking my meds and I am still alive and intend to stay that way.

My history in gaming is rather long so I will shorten it down to some higher points from around the year 2000 and on...

I have often found myself in position as alpha, beta(closed & open) and indev tester for a fair share amount of games, Listing them all would be to long so it was mostly for Electronic Arts and the now defunct THQ among.

Back in 2006 I was a co-founder and appointed head community manager for The Second Sun an MMORPG Player Association which I resigned from in 2012 which at it's highest point had 300+ active members in 2 MMOs.

With the advent of Kickstarter, Indiegogo and a few other backer project sites I have been able to aid in backing some games that have been interesting to me like: Wasteland 2, Strike Suit Zero, Star Citizen, Shadowrun returns etc. etc.
    ...yes I did back Project Godus, I know I am kicking myself for that one..

I have since I think last year gone back to something I dabbled around with and that is streaming gameplay live, this time I have been using Twitch.tv and I try to stream as often as I am able to, so if I am able to stream this game at some point I will happily do it if I get the greenlight to do so ;)

well that's a bit to chew on, hope to see a lot coming from the game.

* Stage 2 Hypertension is a resting blood pressure of about 160 / 100

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:52 pm 

Custom title: Master of Puns
    Hi Wighar!

peter_wighar_berglund wrote:
    ...yes I did back Project Godus, I know I am kicking myself for that one..

Well now I was curious and had to look this up. Ouch. Took a look at the Community numbers as I always like to do, and ouch again.

"4,109 backers had never backed a project on Kickstarter before"

I always wondered on all of the various failed to released as promised projects, regardless of reasons, how many of those first time backers tried to back another project on KS, or if their first bad taste ruined KS forever.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:37 pm 

Custom title: Lurker in the dark
    Hello everybody!

I am Adrián, 33, originally from Northwest Spain, and currently living in Hellsinki (Funland). As a kid I played most of the LucasArts adventure games using my dad's computer, and one of the most vivid memories I have from those times is being with the flu at home, and having the computer all for myself to play the few games I had for hours and hours.

As a teenager one of my dreams was to make my own adventure game engine with two of my friends at the time, which never materialized, but the motivation was enough to learn C and do some programming. My first really useful program was rendering a Mandelbrot fractal based using the 256-color pallette VGA modes under DOS, which shamefully beat my friend's QBASIC version. We also had tons of coffee and pastried every Friday during our adventure game development “meetings” at a nearby cafeteria. My caffeine addiction can be traced back to those times.

Anyway, programming as a hobby led to many, many interesting development in life: Later on I studied Computer Science, and nowadays I work as a programmer in Free/Libre Software stuffs — I have done a little bit of everything, from systems administration to hard CS stuff like compilers development. Work brought me to Finland where, after a few contract extensions (“it's going to be only a 3-month project”, my workmamtes said), I was planning to go back to my country but ended up knowing the woman whom I am happily married to now :)

P.S: I also like strategy games, and countless hours have been spent playing Transport Tycoon (and the open source OpenTTD remake)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:30 am 

From a free software enthusiast and occasional contributor, you have my regards! What kinds of software do you typically work on?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:53 pm 

bruno_v wrote:
    From a free software enthusiast and occasional contributor, you have my regards! What kinds of software do you typically work on?

Hi there! The last projects I have been involved with has been working in the V8 JavaScript engine (the biggest thing I did was adding support for arrow functions), and more recently I have been doing userspace network applications with Snabb. Sometimes I still make patches for WebKitGTK+ in my spare time ;)

What have you been involved with in Free Software, if I may ask?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:45 pm 

My programming is amateurish at best, so I translate into French and donate to various projects so people who know how to make things happen can keep doing it :D . Off the top of my head I've translated mostly for PlayOnLinux, the torrent client Transmission, and a wallpaper rotator called Variety. Usually I look around Launchpad a bit and find a project that only needs some new strings translated or reviewed so I can help in smaller chunks. All things considered my donations have most likely achieved more than my translations, but we do what we can ^^

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:52 am 

Ooohhh, an introduction thread.
    Well here goes...

Hi my name is Andrew and I'm a alcoh... oops, wrong introduction.

Start again!

Hi may name is Andrew,
    Friends call me Icarus.
    Big fan of the Cthulhu mythos and super excited for this game and its spin on the mythos.
    Always have been a big fan of the point and click adventures as well, like day of the tentacle for example.
    I'm just a aging man who still thinks like a kid with bad puns and dad jokes.

Thank you to Stuck In Attic for making this game.

Andrew aka Icarus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:38 pm 

andrew_russell wrote:
    Ooohhh, an introduction thread.
    Well here goes...

Hi my name is Andrew and I'm a alcoh... oops, wrong introduction.

Start again!

Hi may name is Andrew,
    Friends call me Icarus.
    Big fan of the Cthulhu mythos and super excited for this game and its spin on the mythos.
    Always have been a big fan of the point and click adventures as well, like day of the tentacle for example.
    I'm just a aging man who still thinks like a kid with bad puns and dad jokes.

Thank you to Stuck In Attic for making this game.

Andrew aka Icarus

Hi Andrew (or may I say Icarus?) and welcome to this great community. In case you did not know, stuck in attic does live streams with the community about every 2 weeks or so. Be sure to check out the "important announcement" thread to see when the next time will be. It's always a blast and I am sure you'll like it. And never fly too high ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:55 pm 

Hey, I'm 34 and from Brooklyn, NY, USA.

I backed this game on Kickstarter because of a link from the twitter account of Starr Mazer, another Kickstarter game I backed. Since
    1. I like Lucasarts adventure games
    2. The animation is extremely fluid
    3. The game is made with Unity so it will be on Windows, Macintosh and Linux
    4. The game is a horror-themed game made in Transylvania, home of the real-life Count Dracula (i.e. Vlad the Impaler)
    how could I refuse?

Sorry it's taken me this long to comment! I look forward to when it comes out! Then I will play it on either my Mac or my new gaming PC.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:30 am 

bruno_v wrote:
    My programming is amateurish at best, so I translate into French and donate to various projects so people who know how to make things happen can keep doing it :D . Off the top of my head I've translated mostly for PlayOnLinux, the torrent client Transmission, and a wallpaper rotator called Variety. Usually I look around Launchpad a bit and find a project that only needs some new strings translated or reviewed so I can help in smaller chunks. All things considered my donations have most likely achieved more than my translations, but we do what we can ^^

Translating and supporting projects in ways other than code are also important tasks! Many developers don't have the knowledge, or the time, or the strength to go beyond the code, and usually all other kinds of contributions are very well regarded. Now speaking for myself, I find the task of translators particularly awesome, as it is a difficult job sometimes, and very needed task to make software more approachable for all kinds of people. Kudos!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:27 am 

adrian_perez wrote:
    bruno_v wrote:

Translating and supporting projects in ways other than code are also important tasks! Many developers don't have the knowledge, or the time, or the strength to go beyond the code, and usually all other kinds of contributions are very well regarded. Now speaking for myself, I find the task of translators particularly awesome, as it is a difficult job sometimes, and very needed task to make software more approachable for all kinds of people. Kudos!

I second your opinion. I translated the game "Ether One: Redux" into German and also corrected the German translation for "Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure" and "Shadows of the Vatican: Act II". I agree that it is an extremely time consuming task especially if you don't do this professionally and have a full time job to do as well. It took me several months of my free time after work to complete "Ether One: redux" and "Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure" and still weeks to complete the much smaller "Shawdows on the Vatican: Act II". And at the moment I am already in the translation of the helpfile for the upcoming "Poisoned Pawn".

So yes, it is time consuming and it should be done by someone who has passion for the project and who really wants the translation to be as good as possible and then it is really hard but really important work. That being said, after so many really bad translations especially with indies I really do hope that SIA will find a good translation studio so that I don't have to correct Gibbous as well. The translation is just as important as the main programming because there still are several people out there who don't speak (well enough) English or simply want to play in their native language. So SIA: please do this right as well when the time comes.

The guys from Red Thread Games (Dreamfall Chapters) have disappointed me completely in this regard when they decided to delay the promised German voice over until the release of all chapters. I could have played the game nevertheless but as I was trying to help them fix the bugs in the translation in this as well I got so angry about their decision that I stopped playing the game completely and decided to never help them again. They promised something and did not keep their promise. They did not even apologize - they just explained that it would be easier and cheaper (still it was promised for release of each episode and not after months of the full release). Hell, they also have got a German publisher who should have helped them here. Yes, no "Longest Journey: Home" backing for me even though I love their games I hate their politics. Needless to say that I am not the only one who is angry because of that. I really hope that this won't happen with Gibbous.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:24 pm 

Yeah, I'm curious about how translation will go for Gibbous. It was only a $5,000 stretch goal for four languages and I expect a lot of text and wordplay. Liviu told me he had contacts from previous projects, but I can't help but feel a little anxious about it. It doesn't bother me too much since I'll be playing the original English version anyway, but if it's going to be localized at all, I'd like the game to do well in those other languages.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 Next