www.gibbousgame.com

The Official Gibbous - A Cthulhu Adventure Forums
It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:37 pm

• All times are UTC

Post subject: Introduction Thread
    PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:14 pm 

I figured it'd be cool to make an introduction thread :)

So, a little bit about me:

I'm 36 and I live in the United States. The state of Maine, specifically.

I've read a lot of Lovecraft's stories, and seen a few movies based on his stuff too. (The Re-Animator was pretty good).

I love old school video games also. Day of the Tentacle, Maniac Mansion. Eternal Darkness for the Gamecube was especially awesome!

I'm also a pretty big Nintendo fan (Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc)

I also teach myself a lot of things. I've done a couple Wordpress sites, I've had phpbb installed locally on my computer (didn't do much with it), I know a bit about 3d printing, and I love Linux (which is one of the reasons I'm so excited about the game!)

I guess that's enough for now.

Cheers!

Post subject: Re: Introduction Thread
    PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:30 pm 

Custom title: Old One
    Hey Jason! Looks like this is the game for you!

By the way, I'm Liviu, I'm 34 and I've always wanted to make a point and click adventure game, and a Lovecraftian game. So I guess this is it! :)

Alright, back to answering "I can't log into the forums" e-mails... :oops:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:40 pm 

What engine did you use to make this game?

Any idea when the full game will actually be released?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:41 pm 

Unity3d, and the estimated release is summer 2017 :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:45 pm 

Damn! Long time from now x.x

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:27 pm 

Custom title: GOGetter and SIA Fan
    This thread is a great idea for everyone who wants to expose himself to the world ;)
    Just kindding - I will introduce myself as well:

Hi, my name is Marko and I am a game addict ....

Let me start again

My name is Marko and all I know about Lovecraft and/or Cthulhu (finally figured out how he/she/it is written) was from PC games like "Shadow of the Comet", "Prisoner of Ice" and "Tha Last Door". Afaik everything is about some old good or gods trying to rule the world or something like it. There are also some tentacles coming with it I think. But anyway I just love point and click adventures and they always were my favorite game genre. Everytime I play an adventure I really, really try to solve it myself. Unfortunately most of the time I have to look up a walkthrough now and then. I remember back in the days when I was shouting at a game being absolutely sure that it was broken. I ran to my shop to look up the solution in a magazine (no internet then) and everytime I felt stupid. I love that every adventure is different and for me it is the only genre in which you actually feel like you really ARE the character in the game. In a shooter you don't really shoot anything but solving puzzles is what the character does and it is what the player does. A good narrative is very important for me and I also like some great humor. I also love it when games or movies are breaking the fourth wall like in "Moonlighning" and in the Gibbous Demo.

Some really unimportant things about me to add: I am 45 yrs old and I live in Hamburg, Germany (born and raised). Apart from games I like movies, music (especially music from the 50s - 80s) and since the Kickstarter of this game I have become a big fan of both Gibbous and the team behind it Stuck In Attic.

My goal for the next year is to help Stuck In Attic make the best game they could make by offering feedback to solutions and - as you can see in my sig - to do everything to bring Gibbous to GOG.com which imo is the greatest gaming platform that exists today because of the people there being gamers themselves and because of the friendly and generous community.

Aaand as everybody can see, I tend to write too much ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:02 pm 

jason_mcardle wrote:

Long time? HA! 1 year is nothing. It's been four years since the Space Quest guys kickstarter finished, and there isn't even a planned release date. They too had the optimistic "We'll be finished in a year" timeline. Obduction, the Myst game, was supposed to take 2 years, and it's going to be closer to three.

I will be absolutely shocked if Gibbous only takes a year. Really, backers should be expecting much longer than that. Software timelines are extremely hard to project.

Backers shouldn't stress about when a project is finished, just sit back and enjoy it when it does arrive.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:11 pm 

Custom title: GOGetter and SIA Fan
    steven_duff wrote:
    jason_mcardle wrote:

Long time? HA! 1 year is nothing. It's been four years since the Space Quest guys kickstarter finished, and there isn't even a planned release date. They too had the optimistic "We'll be finished in a year" timeline. Obduction, the Myst game, was supposed to take 2 years, and it's going to be closer to three.

I will be absolutely shocked if Gibbous only takes a year. Really, backers should be expecting much longer than that. Software timelines are extremely hard to project.

Backers shouldn't stress about when a project is finished, just sit back and enjoy it when it does arrive.

To tell you the truth: given how much fun I had with SIA and their streams lately I kind of hope that it might take a longer than expected. This has become a great community and I enjoy every minute with it :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:18 pm 

Hi, Randy Pratt, 63, retired in NY, USA. Have been playing adventure games since the original Colossal Cave Adventure in the 70's.

I love to see talented young people like Liviu, Cami and Campian be so passionate about point and clicks!

kill dragon

WITH WHAT? YOUR BARE HANDS?

yes

CONGRATULATIONS! YOU HAVE JUST VANQUISHED A DRAGON WITH YOUR
    BARE HANDS! (UNBELIEVABLE, ISN'T IT?)

Stay passionate and I don't care when the game finally gets here because I am sure it will be great.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:07 am 

Damn I just read these post and I feel so young, oh well my name is Anthony I'm 21 living in Florida, I never really heard of the Lovecraft until...just recently but I did know who Cthulhu was thanks to some of my friends back in middle school. I do love the supernatural and mythology stories and when I saw the YouTuber Case Menace play it I really liked the way the game was so I headed to the kickstarter and backed it. Which this will be my second game that I have backed on Kickstarter, anyways I love adventure games (especially the ones with choices even though I can never be evil in them to save my life) and even the point and click ones.

My first game that I can honestly remember was Mario Kart 64 for the Nintendo 64, along with Mortal Kombat and War Gods (even though I couldn't play them because of how old I was at the time). My tastes have changed and now I'm majorly into almost any and all types of RPGs with my number one being "Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King" for PS2 since that game was the one to launch me into the RPG world.

And I think I talked enough can't wait to see where this heads.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:55 am 

randy_pratt wrote:
    Hi, Randy Pratt, 63, retired in NY, USA. Have been playing adventure games since the original Colossal Cave Adventure in the 70's.

I love to see talented young people like Liviu, Cami and Campian be so passionate about point and clicks!
    Stay passionate and I don't care when the game finally gets here because I am sure it will be great.

Woah, Randy! Nice! Yeah, it's amazing to think that 10 years before I was born - and I ain't no spring chicken, either :) - people were already playing adventure games. It wasn't so long ago that I found out the term "adventure game" actually comes from the title of the game you mentioned. Great to have you here!

anthony wrote:
    Damn I just read these post and I feel so young, oh well my name is Anthony I'm 21 living in Florida, I never really heard of the Lovecraft until...just recently but I did know who Cthulhu was thanks to some of my friends back in middle school. I do love the supernatural and mythology stories and when I saw the YouTuber Case Menace play it I really liked the way the game was so I headed to the kickstarter and backed it. Which this will be my second game that I have backed on Kickstarter, anyways I love adventure games (especially the ones with choices even though I can never be evil in them to save my life) and even the point and click ones.

My first game that I can honestly remember was Mario Kart 64 for the Nintendo 64, along with Mortal Kombat and War Gods (even though I couldn't play them because of how old I was at the time). My tastes have changed and now I'm majorly into almost any and all types of RPGs with my number one being "Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King" for PS2 since that game was the one to launch me into the RPG world.

And I think I talked enough can't wait to see where this heads.

Feeling young is never a bad thing, I try to do that every once in a while for fun :) I grew up playing Mortal Kombat, too! Especially the second. Also played some War Gods for a while when I got my first PC,Kabuki Jo was my faaaavorite. Welcome aboard!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:17 pm 

Hello everyone, it's so nice to see you here! :)

My name is Cami Cuibus and I'm 26. I'm so happy to be part of SIA and part of this awesome community. What do I do? I draw, I animate, I make music and sfx... basically I do everything Liviu doesn't have time to. I love good stories and I love cats so Gibbous is the most awesome project I've worked on. I'm really excited for the year to come. We'll be working our butts off but we're going to have so much fun! I'm hoping you guys will share this experience with us and help us make the best possible game we can! :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:42 pm 

Hello all,

I'm Indigo Clardmond (my artistic/online rather than real name, in case you were wondering where the heck it comes from) and I'm currently 28.

Originally from America, but I'm based in London now, and I believe I can I self diagnose as having something akin to creative ADHD. For example, I have, at various points in my life, practiced different genres of writing, styles and methods of drawing, trained and worked as a professional photographer, studied pretty much every aspect of theater you can think of, wrote (and had produced) a play, directed and put on another play, learned and used different printmaking techniques and have my prints framed in my place (one of them being based off a scene from the point and click adventure version of Lovecraft's "The Outsider"), made two short kinetic novels and going back and forth on developing a proper longer one for general release, possibly as a full blown visual novel, and just recently begun to design some light hearted table top card games.

I'm also in the middle of doing a doctorate in Counselling Psychology so...yeah. Bit all over the place. Came across Gibbous thanks to Kikoskia's play through of the demo, who I'd been watching thanks to his Call of Cthulhu RPG sessions (oh yes, I'm doing those too, amongst other tabletop games) and thus was naturally curious about it. My first foray onto Kickstarter too! Don't think I could've picked a better game or community to start out with, either, it's all been super exciting and engaging so far~

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:31 am 

I'm Robert Thomson, 37, and I make my home in Hamilton, New Zealand.

I saw Gibbous while browsing the video games category of Kickstarter, played the demo, and had backed it before I knew what I was doing. I'm a big fan of both the works of Lovecraft and Point-and-Click adventures, and it seems like Stuck in Attic is blending these two great tastes perfectly.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:08 am 

Hi,

I´m Sven. I´m from Germany and 27 years old. And you might already know that I´m a big adventure game fan (especially 2D ones!) and collector. Well I play nearly only adventure games - except 4 or 5 exceptions. 8-)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:05 pm 

Welcome, guys! Great to see so many cool people from all over the world joining us here on the forums, as well. Thanks again for making Gibbous come true!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:55 pm 

Custom title: Master of Puns
    And now for some sacrilege posting. I know nothing of Lovecraft, Cthulu, or anything of the sort. Well, all I know is "old horror gods". Outside of that thought not much. If there are supposed to be multiple gods never understood why only Cthulu is talked about. So yeah I am running in full blind mode in here. And because I came from playing D&D, every time I saw a "cthulu" type picture, I would just think to myself, "Looks like a mindflayer to me."

Out here in the country in Texas. With a little tidbit of info. After a certain local event happened (which did NOT happen in the city the news slapped it in) I have from then on used my Location, especially in forums if it shows up, to what it is now.
    <----

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:04 pm 

My name is Markus and I live in the south of Germany, to be more precise in Bavaria near the city of Munich. I'm 35 years old.

The adventure game genre is one of my favorite ones and I play them now since nearly 30 years and I still love to play them.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:15 pm 

Interesting to see the age range so far! I guess it has to do with the genre :)

Well I'm a 27 male from Québec, Canada. Translator by trade and I enjoy games with a story, be they adventure games, RPGs, visual novels or sidescrollers. I too have only the slightest understanding of the Cthulhu mythos, so I'm here mostly for the humor and mystery :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:11 am 

Heya, I'm 32, from the desertous state of Arizona in the US, and I like those adventure game things.

A common thing I've noticed is people mentioning they haven't read anything of Lovecraft's. I was in that position myself until just a few years ago, when I took it on myself to make it a goal to read everything he wrote over the course of one summer. I don't know if I'd recommend it, as he was a problematic figure, personally and in his writing, and everything he wrote wasn't the greatest, but it is worth checking out at least a few of his short stories. They read easily, and most of them are in the public domain. If you have an ereader of some kind, you can download pretty much everything he wrote in his solo career, in a really well formatted ebook format, from here: http://arkhamarchivist.com/free-complet ... ok-kindle/

I'd recommend The Colour Out of Space, The Case of Charles Dexter Ward, At the Mountains of Madness, and of course, The Call of Cthulhu.